Biology Glossary for 11-16 Yr Olds (Chad Evans)
Note: You may download the entries for this glossary here. If you wish to use this in your own Moodle course, first make a blank glossary and then follow the instructions for importing glossary entries here.
@ | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | Alle
1 Any of a large variety of proteins normally present in the body or produced in response to an antigen which it neutralizes, thus producing an immune response
1 Reproduction without the fusion of gametes
1 Any malignant growth or tumour caused by abnormal and uncontrolled cell division; it may spread to other parts of the body through the lymphatic system or the blood stream
1) The basic structural and functional unit of all organisms; they may exist as independent units of life (as in monads) or may form colonies or tissues as in higher plants and animals
1) A distinguishing quality
1) A thread-like structure, made of protein, containing a number of genes aligned along its length.
1) An identical individual (oxy-moron)
1) The most common congenital disease; the child's lungs and intestines and pancreas become clogged with thick mucus; caused by defect in a single gene; there is no cure
2) A long linear polymer found in the nucleus of a cell and formed from nucleotides and shaped like a double helix; associated with the transmission of genetic information